The Army Politics, Strategy and High Administration Course (CPEAEx) was created on December 23, 1986 in response to the proposal of the then Army Minister, Gen Ex Leônidas Pires Gonçalves to President José Sarney, with the purpose of updating and expanding the politics, strategy and senior management skills for staff officers and to enable non-staff-officers to hold positions and functions of Major General and Brigadier General.
The adopted insignia preserved traits of the previous Course of High Command’s (CAC) insignia. CAEM was created on April 28, 1939 under the guidance of the French Military Mission (MMF), and retired on December 23, 1939 with the outbreak of World War II and the withdrawal of the MMF. The first commander was Gen Milton de Freitas Almeida who moved General Staff College to Barão de Mesquita street, currently the 1st Military Police Battalion.
The one-year course is for colonels selected by merit. Slots are available for officers of the Navy and Air Force.
The general objective of this course is to enable and train officers to advise at the highest levels of the Military Forces, Ministry of Defense and the Executive Branch.